The father of Harriet Robson has released a statement after allegations that Mason Greenwood physically abused her surfaced on Sunday morning.
Robson posted a series of graphic images and audio recordings on her Instagram which appeared to show Greenwood physically assaulting her, with one story slide captioned saying: “To everyone who wants to know what Mason Greenwood actually does to me.”
After initially confirming they would wait until the “facts had been established,” Manchester United have confirmed that Greenwood “will not return to training or play matches until further notice.”
Greater Manchester Police also confirmed they were beginning their enquiries and were spotted at the home of Robson and her family on Sunday.
The family have now released their first statement since the allegations were first raised, with Harriet’s father admitting that they only found out themselves this morning.
“The first thing we knew about this was at 6am this morning. It is dreadful. I’m just coming to terms with it all,” he told the MailOnline.
“As a father you don’t want to know (that) things like that happening to your daughter. The police have been round and she has made a statement to them.
“She has told us her phone has been hacked. We told her to take it down, which she has done but it’s out there now so it is too late.
“She is devastated because she didn’t want it released. We have known him since the under 21s. He has been part of our family for two or three years.
“Their relationship has not been good for the last few months. She is completely devastated by it all.
“They were very much in love and have been together for a while. The police are dealing with it now.”
Mason Greenwood has yet to issue a response to the allegations that have been made, however his sponsors Nike have released a statement saying they are “deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.”